Two Years and counting...

Some people remember dates for birthdays. Some remember dates for anniversaries. Some remember dates of death. And some...remember dates of survival. June 5, 2017. A date for me that will be tattooed in my heart for the rest of my life.   A day that I was to take my last breath ultimately lead to me learning to appreciate the very breath I breathe today, and becoming absolutely sure that there is a God much bigger than any of my problems.

My Facebook status that morning was “I’m not good at being strong. 💔💔💔”  I can remember typing that.  A way of reaching out, yet vague enough to keep me in the dark.  I sat alone in the house that was once filled with the life I yearned to get back. The memories around every corner we’re drowning me and there was no escaping. I was at a point of no return.  I wanted out. I wanted it to be over, and there was no changing my mind. My broken heart was physically painful. Mentally I was in a place so low climbing out was unattainable. It was time for it to end.

Sitting in the car in the garage...I remember inserting the key and feeling a sense of finality when I started the engine.  My hands trembled. I laid my head back and the tears just continued to pour down my face.  I screamed out in sheer pain.  No one heard. No one came.  I remember wondering how long it would take. I can see it all as clear as day. I remember every second.

Out of no where it was as if someone shook me to wake up. Something came over me and made me question what I was doing.  I sobbed even harder.  I reached up, turned the car off, and opened the garage door.  My head rested on the steering wheel as I continued to cry myself to sleep.  Waking up in that spot the next morning I wondered why I had stopped.  The realization that something much bigger than I had been sitting in the passenger seat the entire time making sure I didn’t go through with it. When I was at my lowest, when I felt completely alone, I wasn’t.

Life isn’t easy. And for some it’s harder than others. It’s just the way my cards were dealt.  I’ve walked through fire and come out alive. Barely, but I did it.  So as this day rolls around every year, I will face the reminder of what could have been, and be grateful for what wasn’t.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addicted to be loved

Cont;nue

Tin Man